The 180-acre wetlands on Lake Waco was constructed by the city of Waco, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service after the Waco City Council in 1998 voted to increase the lake’s pool by 7 feet to provide additional drinking water for Central Texas.
The wetlands would serve as partial fulfillment for replacing habitat lost as the lake was raised.
Also built there was a 6,000-square-foot Lake Waco Wetlands Research and Education Center. It hosts classes for students of Baylor University’s biology department and serves as a living lab. It also implements outreach efforts to educate the community and local schoolchildren about reservoir systems and related water issues.
Nature photographers enjoy capturing photos of bald eagles that have established nests in the wetlands.
ADDRESS: 1752 Eichelberger Crossing Road