I remember it clearly. It was March 1995, and I was only four at the time, but I still recall sitting on the floor of our living room in Lubbock, watching in puzzled bemusement as my dad jumped and danced around the living room. Michael Jordan had just come out of retirement, and my dad was pumped.
There is a picture of me from years earlier that my family still has. I’m rocking a Chicago Bulls T-shirt, basketball in hand, standing by my Playskool goal with a Bulls game on in the background.
Obviously, my love of basketball started at a young age, a spark that was ignited by my dad. Since then, he drove me to multiple basketball camps every summer, watched my games either from the stands or from the sidelines and has gone with me to countless games from watching the Olney Cubs advance to state when I was in elementary school, to too many Baylor men’s and women’s basketball games to number.
Saturday is Dad’s & Daughter’s Day when the third-ranked Lady Bears host No. 24 TCU at 7 p.m. If you have the chance to go, don’t miss it.
TCU has never started this strongly in Big 12 play. The Horned Frogs started 10-2 when they were in the Mountain West in 2010-11, but this yea…
The most recent game my dad and I went to was the Western Conference Finals in 2016. Game 4 of the series was on my dad’s birthday and he happened to be in town while I was in Oklahoma City to cover Texas Tech in the Big 12 baseball tournament. Naturally, I freaked out when tickets went on sale and they were actually in the price range of a journalist’s salary.
After more excitement on game day, I dragged my dad to Chesapeake Energy Arena hours before tip. We didn’t do any of the pregame activities outside. Instead we waited, first in line, at the door because I did not want to miss pregame shootaround.
Through all of this, my dad just shook his head and grinned at me. Maybe he was silently acknowledging internally that he created this basketball-obsessed monster (not Monstar, as he was the one to take me to see Space Jam. And I love Space Jam).
If it wasn’t for my dad, I wouldn’t be a sportswriter. Every March my house wouldn’t look like NASA on launch day, with as many screens as I can accumulate featuring a different college basketball game.
If it wasn’t basketball, it was baseball. Only two hours from Arlington, my family went to at least one Texas Rangers game a year. My brother was even born on Opening Day in 2000. It didn’t take long after we walked through the gates at, what I will always call, The Ballpark in Arlington that either my dad or I found the programs and a pencil. After scanning through the program, we found the scorecard.
That’s how I learned to keep a book for baseball and softball. Simultaneously keeping score and trying to eat my helmet ice cream sundae before it melted in the Texas heat all while watching the Rangers.
We’ve spent an innumerable amount of time since then together either watching or playing sports. From a game of H-O-R-S-E in the driveway after school, to catch in the middle of the street to the Dallas Stars winning the Stanley Cup in 1999 to trying to distract each other during the World Series when the Texas Rangers broke our hearts, this time with my dad centered around one sport or another has played a major role in shaping me into who I am today.
A few of those lessons are still making an impact on me. When I was in eighth grade, I had one of my worst basketball games. Afterward, my dad asked me what happened, and I told him that the girl guarding me was calling me a certain word the entire game. While my grandma wasn’t happy and marched right up to that opposing coach to let him know “about the character of his team,” as she kindly put it later, my dad and I went to work once more in the driveway. And as we played one on one, he made sure hearing that word never threw me again.
While my days of competitive basketball are done, that lesson still applies when I log onto social media. Twitter can be awesome sometimes, but it can quickly turn into the bathroom wall where people can say whatever they want with no fear of consequences. Don’t let what others define you as throw you from your purpose.
Another lesson I’m still working on is forgiveness. Because I’m still mad at Nelson Cruz. Always use two hands to catch a fly ball.
Who's on the Mount Rushmore of Big 12 teams? Where will Baylor find playmakers? Can OU be stopped?
- Iowa St.
- Army at No. 5 Oklahoma: Sooners close out the non-conference schedule; Here's everything you need to know
- Holding Call: Browns delay naming Baker Mayfield new starting QB
- Army at No. 5 Oklahoma: Top storyline, player to watch, key matchup and columnist Bill Haisten's prediction
- Guerin Emig: For one night the Browns knew what it was like to be the Sooners, and that was pretty cool
- Army at No. 5 Oklahoma: For love of country and football
- The Friday newsletter: Did you see Baker Mayfield play on Thursday night?
- Won, won and won! Baker Mayfield steps in, leads Browns past Jets for first win since 2016
- OU Football: This year's Oklahoma-Texas game draws a morning kickoff
- The Picker: Turnover chain imitators have jumped the shark — and here's your can't-miss prediction
- OU football notebook: Number of snaps on offense could be a factor against Army
- 5 things to watch going into TCU-Texas game: breakout game for Banogu? Home run threat?
- TCU football vs. Texas Longhorns game: Kickoff time, TV, line, prediction
- Potential top pick in 2019 NFL Draft had surgery after injury vs TCU at AT&T Stadium
- There are plenty tickets left for the TCU-Texas game. How much do they cost?
- Cousin of TCU guard survived the Parkland school shooting. ‘It felt like forever’
- TCU has absolutely owned Texas since entering the Big 12 — and the numbers prove it
- TCU’s ‘roster of rejects?’ C’mon, we should be better than this
- Texas ex admits adding TCU blew up on UT: ‘We’ve been getting our (bleep) whopped by TCU’
- TCU’s Gary Patterson fires back at analyst for ‘roster of rejects’ dig at Frogs
- This 4-star forward visited TCU last weekend. Where he’s expected to sign.
- Red Raiders open conference play against Oklahoma State
- Red Raiders keep bats rolling, top Midland, 23-1
- Red Raiders defeat Baylor, 3-1, to start Big 12 play
- Big 12 Breakdown
- Allison White continues to dominate in sophomore season
- Mahomes, Crabtree, more shine in NFL spotlight
- Tech claims first runner up finish of season
- Red Raider offense overpowers Odessa College, 22-1
- Red Raiders set to begin conference play
- Tech claims doubles title at Racquet Club Invitational
- Longhorns soccer opens Big 12 play with overtime win
- Katie Poluta wins twice at Debbie Southern Fall Classic
- Former Texas Longhorn Empress Davenport earns coaching position
- Longhorns TV schedule: Sept. 21-27
- Bianca Turati falls in quarterfinals at ITF event
- On Second Thought Ep: 111: Ex LSU coach Les Miles on Texas-TCU, acclaimed author Michael MacCambridge
- Ready for Red River Showdown? Texas-Oklahoma kickoff time set for Oct. 6
- Longhorns volleyball survives Big 12 opener against Kansas State
- Texas women’s golf finishes fourth at ANNIKA Intercollegiate
- Bianca Turati makes quarterfinals of ITF event
- Former OSU basketball player Mason Cox leads Magpies into Aussie Rules final
- Texas Tech at No. 15 OSU: Coming off a big win, Cowboys open Big 12 play; Here's everything you need to know
- Texas Tech at No. 15 Oklahoma State: Top storyline, matchup and prediction from columnist Guerin Emig
- Texas Tech at No. 15 Oklahoma State: Why does Jim Knowles coach from the sidelines? For games like Texas Tech
- World's Best Oklahoma State Podcast (Ep. 3): OSU-Texas Tech preview and Dax Hill discussion
- The Picker: Turnover chain imitators have jumped the shark — and here's your can't-miss prediction
- OSU basketball player Michael Weathers suspended after grand larceny arrest
- OSU football: Taylor Cornelius goes up against the program he once rooted for when Oklahoma State plays Texas Tech
- OSU basketball: Class of 2019 guard Marcus Watson includes Oklahoma State in final four
- Guerin Emig: Gracious Bedlam fans tweet at Michigan commit Dax Hill, restore some faith in the internet
- WVU’s Robinson getting the most out of his talent
- WVU Notebook: Offensive efficiency on right track; turnovers will be a priority against Kansas State
- HERTZEL COLUMN: Patience important to Grier, Mountaineers against Kansas State
- WVU coach, players eager to play after cancellation
- HERTZEL COLUMN: Sills family, football helped transform Bigelow’s life
- HERTZEL COLUMN: Strong pass defense should fortify WVU’s game against Kansas State
- Impactful wins, losses emerge as Big 12 play gets rolling
- WVU running back group a budding 4-headed monster
- HERTZEL COLUMN: Breaking down Heisman hopefuls
- HERTZEL COLUMN: It is time for Talley to enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame
- Stats file: Details on projected football starters for Iowa State against Akron
- Why Akron has Iowa State's complete attention
- 'I could have lost my life': Former Iowa State basketball player Darrell Bowie talks about stabbing in Romania
- Complete coverage of former Iowa State golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena's slaying
- Peterson: Do your part to honor Celia Barquin Arozamena at Jack Trice
- Sergio Garcia dedicates round to Celia Barquin Arozamena, slain Iowa State golfer
- Peterson's Big 12 picks: Iowa State’s nation-worst rushing game is about to improve significantly
- Ladies European Tour honors Celia Barquin Arozamena at golf tournament in her native Spain
- What we know about the murder suspect in the Iowa State golf star's slaying
- Talk from teammate helps turn around Iowa State punter Corey Dunn's season
- Thompson and Schoen’s connection hard to miss through 3 games
- Shorthanded KSU defense tries to slow down Grier
- So far, so good: Communication improves with K-State OC Andre Coleman at field level
- Junior K-State LB Justin Hughes making strides; Elijah Sullivan 'should' play Saturday
- K-State’s win streak ends in 3-2 loss to No. 5 Texas
- Lynch loves to 'get some hitting in'
- Snyder's frustrations with fumbles 'immense'
- K-State roundup: Madness in Manhattan time announced; volleyball earns accolades
- Game time set for K-State/Texas
- Bill Snyder: K-State backups must do more
- Tom Keegan: KU football bettter prepared for Baylor this time
- Gameday Breakdown: KU football at Baylor
- Former FSHS standouts continue to lead KU defense
- Pooka Williams rated 3rd-best true freshman in FBS
- Can KU football lay another streak to rest?
- Defensive takeaways fueling KU football's confidence
- Tom Keegan: Pooka Williams as flexbone QB?
- KU volleyball defeats Drake to wrap up nonconference play
- Tom Keegan: Azur Kamara grateful for journey from African soccer player to Kansas football player
- 'Little sprain' won't keep KU defensive tackle Daniel Wise out of lineup
- Week 4 preview: Saban-Fisher redux in SEC; Ducks face test
- Aggie freshmen win career openers in women's tennis
- No. 2 Aggie soccer team's winning streak comes to an end
- Texas A&M equestrian team to host annual Maroon & White Scrimmage
- Aggie Game Day: Follow live updates from the Texas A&M-Alabama game
- How to watch: Your guide for getting the Texas A&M-Alabama game on TV, radio and the web
- No. 1 Alabama's offense overshadowing defense — seriously
- Former Texas A&M assistant Jeff Banks settles with school over contract dispute
- Texas A&M volleyball team rallies in second set, sweeps Arkansas
- Texas A&M women's tennis team to open season in Fort Worth this week