A short police chase ended with the arrest of a 27-year-old man on a charge of capital murder Friday afternoon in relation to Tuesday’s double slaying at a North Waco apartment complex.

At about 2 p.m., U.S. Marshals Task Force officers, McLennan County Sheriff’s officers and Waco police officers attempted to arrest Todric Deon McDonald while he was working on a vehicle outside his residence, Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Matt Cawthon said.

But McDonald fled eastbound on Bosque Boulevard in his vehicle with a female and a toddler. After a brief pursuit, McDonald rammed and struck a Marshals vehicle at the intersection of North 26th Street and Bosque Boulevard, and McDonald’s car was forced onto the curb, Cawthon said.

McDonald tried to flee on foot, but his door was stuck on the curb and he was trapped, Cawthon said.

He was transported to McLennan County Jail. Waco Police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said additional charges may be pending.

Cawthon said fleeing with the toddler in the car means McDonald could face charges of child endangerment as well as felony evading arrest and aggravated assault of a peace officer from striking the Marshals vehicle.

Earlier in the day, another Waco man was jailed on a capital murder charge but was freed five hours later after police determined he was not involved in Tuesday’s shootings.

Waco police obtained an arrest warrant for the man on Thursday and records show he was booked into the McLennan County Jail just before 6 a.m. Friday.

But after further investigation, police secured his release about 11 a.m. Friday after determining “he is no longer a suspect in the case,” Swanton said.

The men were arrested on suspicion of capital murder in the shooting deaths of cousins Justin Javier Gonzalez, 24, and Ulysses Gonzalez, 30, both of Waco.

Their bodies were found lying on the living room floor at the Pecan Tree Apartments, on the 2600 block of Grim Avenue. Each suffered multiple gunshot wounds, according to police records.

“The investigation is continuing,” Swanton said Friday morning. “We have developed some solid leads and the investigation is moving forward.”

Swanton has said neither of the shooting victims lived in the complex and that they were visiting a friend.

A confidential witness told police the suspects in the capital murder investigation were at a convenience store just before the shootings. Police later identified both McDonald and the released man from store video footage, according to records filed in the case.

Get Trib headlines sent directly to you, every day.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

Load comments