Waco is expected to see its 26th consecutive day of rain Saturday, with meteorologists saying at least a trace of rain has been measured at Waco Regional Airport each day since May 5.

That number now holds the record as the most consecutive days of rain recorded in Waco in any month, National Weather Service meteorologist Jesse Moore said.

Waco’s forecast shows a 40 percent chance of rain early Saturday, followed by a 60 percent chance of rain after daybreak.

A 40 percent chance of rain is likely to hold Saturday night until the area sees a respite Sunday afternoon into Monday.

Moore said officials anticipate a continued “above normal precipitation” for the rest of the summer but that there will likely be less rain than the area has experienced during the past six weeks.

About 9.07 inches of rain have soaked the city for the month, more than twice the normal rainfall for May.

Moore said he expects that number will climb during the next few days.

The meteorologist did not attribute the recent stretch of heavy rain to it being an El Niño year, as precipitation during such years typically spikes in the winter, not the spring.

Get Trib headlines sent directly to you, every day.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

Load comments