Baylor University reached an undisclosed financial settlement with two women who reported being gang-raped by football players in 2012.

The women did not file lawsuits, and one of the women also reported being physically assaulted by a football player in 2013.

The players implicated in the report and the athletics employees who heard the report in 2013 are no longer part of the university, interim President David Garland said in a joint statement with the women’s attorneys, John Clune and Chris Ford of Boulder, Colorado.

“It breaks my heart that even one student would be sexually assaulted while a part of this university,” Garland said in the statement. “I offer my sincere apologies, both personally and on behalf of the university, that we did not do more to prevent, respond to or support the care of these young women.”

Calls to Baylor spokespeople were not returned late Tuesday.

The settlement was first reported by ESPN’s Mark Schlabach.

Baylor has recently improved its handling of sexual assault reports, Clune and Ford said in the statement.

Clune said he is glad Baylor cooperated in the settlement talks to spare the students further harm and continue their education.

“I would describe these two cases as horrific and heartbreaking,” Clune told the Tribune-Herald. “Even for people that have spent their careers in sexual violence, it was hard for us to hear the details of what these two women went through.”

Clune represented the victim of Sam Ukwuachu, a former Baylor football player convicted of sexual assault in August 2015. Baylor reached an undisclosed settlement with the victim in January.

The university faces four pending Title IX lawsuits. An investigation Baylor hired Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton LLP to conduct found a universitywide failure in Title IX implementation, Baylor’s board of regents reported in May.

Regents fired Ken Starr as president and Art Briles as head football coach when they reported on the investigation’s findings, and Ian McCaw resigned as athletics director days later. Two other athletics employees also were fired.

Recommended for you