Baylor University offensive lineman Rami Hammad was arrested Monday on a felony stalking charge. A Baylor professor called 911 and reported that Hammad had waited for his ex-girlfriend before the professor’s class the woman was starting July 7, then continued to attempt to contact her, according to an affidavit for Hammad’s arrest.

The woman told Hammad, a 21-year-old junior from Irving, to leave before she went into the class, but he waited for her outside, according to the affidavit. Seeing him waiting, the woman was afraid to leave alone and asked for the professor’s help, the affidavit states.

She and the professor left together, and Hammad followed them to the professor’s office, where he began knocking on the door for several minutes, according to the affidavit.

After unsuccessful calls to Baylor athletics, the professor and student decided to call police, saying they feared for their safety, according to the affidavit.

During interviews that day, police told Hammad not to have any further contact with the woman, and investigators told him again during an interview July 11 not to have contact with her, the affidavit states.

Hammad was booked into McLennan County Jail shortly before 5:30 p.m. Monday on a third-degree felony stalking charge.

According to the arrest affidavit, the woman told officers Hammad would not leave her alone and that she had taken “extensive measures” to keep Hammad from knowing her whereabouts before starting summer classes, including driving a vehicle and subleasing a home Hammad didn’t know about.

During the July 7 interviews with Baylor police, Hammad reportedly said he was concerned for his ex-girlfriend’s safety and had spent most the previous night looking for her. The arrest affidavit states Hammad told officers he went to an apartment where he thought the victim may have been staying with her mother. He said he found the door open and went inside.

He told officers he found the apartment empty and later went to local hotels to look for the woman.

“Hammad advised after an unsuccessful search, he knew she would have to attend class the next morning and found her walking into class,” the arrest affidavit states. “Hammad advised he just wanted to talk to the victim in an attempt to mend their troubled relationship.”

The woman told investigators she believed she and Hammad ended their relationship in early May and that Hammad was a “manipulative individual and was very persuasive in his attempts to mend their relationship,” the arrest affidavit states.

At the time of the incident, the woman told police she did not wish to pursue charges, according to the university’s campus crime log. The Baylor University Title IX Office also was notified of the incident.

She told an officer that she feared for Hammad’s mental health and the effects of her attempts to block contact with him, including ignoring phone calls and text messages and blocking his phone number. She told officers he had spoken about suicide, according to the affidavit.

The woman told police she sought help through Baylor’s counseling services, but he would never agree to attend on a regular basis, according to the affidavit.

After the July 7 call to police, the woman reported past physical abuse by Hammad, the affidavit states. She said Hammad drove to Dallas in June to find her at her family’s home and talked her into returning to Waco with him.

“She advised they returned to Waco without incident, but Hammad began crying in the parking lot of the Highers Simpson Athletic Center parking lot on Baylor University campus,” the arrest affidavit states. “She described Hammad as very emotional, and during the course of the incident, (he) grabbed her by the arm and pushed her against the wall inside the Allison Indoor Practice Facility.”

The document states she was able to defuse the situation. She told officers of another incident of abuse in March when an argument between the two turned physical and Hammad allegedly placed his hand on her throat and held her against the wall during the argument, according to the affidavit.

Officers noted other incidents in the arrest affidavit when Hammad allegedly sent the woman food deliveries after the July 7 call to police and was asking her friends about her whereabouts.

The woman told police she no longer feels comfortable living in Waco and has moved out of the state.

Hammad transferred to Baylor from the University of Texas in 2014 and played 13 games as a sophomore in 2015. Baylor athletics spokesman Nick Joos said Hammad was suspended from all team activities starting Monday. Joos said the department is aware of the situation, and Hammad will remain suspended until the case is resolved.

Hammad was released from jail Tuesday afternoon on a $5,000 surety bond.

Tribune-Herald staff writer Phillip Ericksen contributed to this story.

Get Trib headlines sent directly to you, every day.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

Load comments