A judge rejected a plea agreement Thursday morning that proposed a 50-year prison term for a Bellmead man charged with decapitating his wife and putting her head in a freezer.

Davie Dauzat, 23, planned to plead guilty to murder in the Aug. 25 death of his 21-year-old wife, Natasha Dauzat.

However, the plea hearing was canceled after 54th State District Judge Matt Johnson conferred in his chambers with McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna and defense attorney Joseph Marcee. Court officials said the judge declined to accept the plea bargain offered by Reyna’s office.

Davie Dauzat’s parents and Natasha Dauzat’s family were in the courtroom for the anticipated plea but left to meet with attorneys to find out what happened.

A phone call to Reyna after the canceled hearing was not returned. Marcee declined comment.

Johnson set Dauzat’s murder trial to begin Sept. 18. If the judge had accepted the plea deal, Dauzat could have been eligible for parole in 25 years.

Dauzat remained in a holding cell and never made a court appearance Thursday morning.

Dauzat, who remains jailed under a $1 million bond, told investigators he killed his wife with a knife while their 1-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter were in the house.

An autopsy report confirmed Natasha Dauzat died from “sharp-force injuries, including decapitation.”

Dauzat told police killing his wife was wrong, but he also made conflicting statements, according to records filed in the case. He “acknowledged that killing Natasha was wrong; however, he would also state that it was a battle between good and evil,” the records state.

Dauzat told police he used drugs before the killing, but it was unclear what he took and when, other than smoking marijuana that day with his wife, according to affidavits filed in the case.

Police found drug paraphernalia in the home, and Dauzat told officers he used prescription drugs in the past.

Bellmead police were called to the home earlier that day to check on the family. They returned and found Natasha Dauzat’s body, Bellmead police Sgt. Kory Martin said at the time.

Dauzat’s brother told police Davie Dauzat called him and made “weird statements” and asked “funny questions,” but he was unsure if the comments were the result of drug use, Martin said.

Police returned to the home about 11 a.m. Aug. 25 after Dauzat’s brother called to say Dauzat killed his wife.

Dauzat initially refused to come out, but officers were able to convince him to surrender, police said. The children were uninjured but covered in blood, according to court documents.

Get Trib headlines sent directly to you, every day.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

Load comments