stuart parsons


The owner of Parsons Barefoot Ski Ranch and Parsons Roofing and two of his former employees were cleared of criminal wrongdoing Wednesday in what has been described as a “drunken brawl” in May that left two men seriously injured.

A McLennan County grand jury issued no-bills for — or declined to indict — Stuart E. Parsons Jr. and brothers Ryan Kyle and Jacob Kyle in a May 24 incident at the cable park.

The Kyle brothers, both former college football players, worked for Parsons at the cable park. Ryan Kyle, 25, testified for about 30 minutes before the grand jury while his attorney, David Deaconson, waited outside.

The three were arrested for aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury.

“We obviously are extremely excited to get this situation behind us,” said Parsons’ attorney, Jason Darling. “We appreciate the work of the district attorney’s office and the sheriff’s office in investigating this, and we respect the decision of the grand jury. Under the facts and under the law, we feel it is an appropriate decision by the grand jury.”

McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna, who was in the grand jury chambers during the presentation of the case, declined comment after the three were no-billed.

Toby McCarver and Randy Murphy, who were involved in the fight with Parsons and the Kyle brothers, filed a lawsuit against the cable park in August, seeking more than $1 million in damages.

According to the suit, which remains pending in Waco’s 170th State District Court, McCarver suffered a broken jaw, a broken nose and a chest contusion in the incident.

Murphy suffered a displaced clavicle, a lacerated ear that needed 15 stitches and a bite on his hand that became infected, the lawsuit alleges.

The civil case tentatively is set for trial June 15, 2015.

“There were some significant injuries, but the problem was we had witnesses who said McCarver threw the first punch. The witnesses said he hit Mr. Parsons first,” Darling said. “It was basically a mutual combat situation, like a bar fight. It is safe to call it a drunken brawl.”

According to law enforcement reports, McCarver, Murphy and their families and friends rented several cabins and an RV slip at the cable park on Old Mexia Road east of Waco and used a water slide near the cabins.

Parsons and others drove up and Parsons began screaming at the men that the slide was off-limits, according to arrest warrant affidavits.

Reports indicate the men told deputies that Parsons was so intoxicated that he couldn’t recognize one of them “even though they have been friends for a long time.”

The lawsuit alleges that Parsons appeared to be “intoxicated and/or impaired.”

Parsons left and the group returned to their cabins, according to sheriff’s office reports. But Parsons, the Kyle brothers and another man returned.

Parsons pointed out McCarver and said he was the one wearing the blue shirt, according to the lawsuit and the deputy’s report. At that point, the three men began assaulting McCarver, reports show.

The lawsuit claims Murphy tried to intervene and also was assaulted.

“It was just one of those things,” Darling said. “The fight lasted all of two minutes, but it was hard to determine what happened. There are two different versions of what happened, and Stuart had injuries. He had cuts to his face and his ankle was hurt, and he had to go to the hospital for that. Stuart called the sheriff’s office to remove them from the property. He is not looking for a fight if he has already called the cops to have them removed and then the fight happened before they got there.”

Man no-billed in shooting

In other action, the grand jury no-billed a 66-year-old Waco man who shot his son during a domestic disturbance in October.

The grand jury declined to indict Michael Farr, a retired utility company employee, on charges he shot his 30-year-old son, John-Michael Lee Farr, during an incident in the 1000 block of Rambler Drive.

“Mr. Farr was deeply disappointed that the father-son relationship got to that point,” said Farr’s attorney, Phil Martinez. “But he felt that was the only way he could protect himself from harm.”

The younger Farr was shot in the chest and was hospitalized about two weeks before he was released, Martinez said.

Police reported that the incident began as a family disturbance but escalated.

Recommended for you