McLennan County sheriff’s investigators arrested the wife of former Branch Davidian leader George Roden Friday morning after she reportedly was leading tours into the quarantined area at Mount Carmel.

Amo Paul Bishop Roden, who has fought to gain control of the 77 acres of land at the site, was in the McLennan County Jail Friday night charged with violation of a state quarantine area, a third degree felony.

McLennan County Justice of the Peace John Cabaniss set her bond at $3,000.

Sgt. Richard Stroup of the sheriff’s department said Roden had been “conducting tours out there and charging for the tours.”

The Tribune-Herald reported that deputies had detained a woman Wednesday who had led a group of Chinese tourists inside the fenced area at the compound. She was reportedly charging $5 each for the tours.

Stroup confirmed the woman to be Roden and added that no one had been caught going into the quarantined area since the Wednesday incident. However, he added, anyone else caught in the area will be arrested because they will be in violation of the state’s health and safety code.

The tour groups were entering the quarantined area through a hole cut in the fence, Stroup said, although he could not say for certain who had cut the hole.

“It was cut near a pole, and they had to roll it back,” he said. “But it was a large enough area that someone could have gone in there.”

The quarantine was placed on the Mount Carmel site May 14 by the Texas Department of Health for health reasons. It was later reduced to the area around the compound.

Entering the quarantined area is punishable by a two- to 10-year prison sentence and a fine of up to $10,000.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.