Four survivors of Monday’s fire at Mount Carmel remained hospitalized Monday night.

The fire left nine known survivors, including an unidentified woman who was in a coma Monday, according to the FBI.

A man and two women, all seriously burned, were taken by helicopter to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. Another woman was taken to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center in Waco.

Those hospitalized include:

  • A man believed to be Clive Joseph Doyle, 52, who remains in serious condition in Parkland Memorial’s intensive care unit.
  • An unidentified woman who remains on a respirator and in critical condition in Parkland Memorial’s intensive care unit with burns over 50 percent of her body.
  • An unidentified woman also on a respirator and in critical condition at Parkland Memorial with burns over 25 percent of her body.
  • A woman believed to be Ruth Riddle, also known as Ruth Ottman, 29, who is in stable condition at Hillcrest Baptist Hospital with a broken ankle and burns over less than 4 percent of her body.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.