The work is done on Double EE Ranch Road, but it remains closed along with a section of FM 2491 where county road crews are repairing damage from tanks involved in the Branch Davidian siege.

“I’m not going to open that until we decide if we’re going to pass the traffic zone ordinance,” McLennan County Commissioner Lester Gibson said of Double EE, which runs in front of the Mount Carmel ruins.

Gibson said commissioners will hold a public hearing Monday to consider an ordinance that would ban stopping, standing or parking on Double EE and Elk Road where it intersects with Double EE to the old Cotton Belt railroad crossing about a mile east.

Violation of the ordinance would be a misdemeanor punishable by a fine and/or a jail term, he said.

If commissioners pass the ordinance, both roads would open with new traffic signs by Aug. 23, Gibson said. If not, then Double EE would be reopened immediately, with Elk Road following once construction is complete.

Gibson said Elk Road must be repaved for about a mile.

“The problem out there is people coming to see that site,” he said. “We’ve got complaints from the neighbors.”

Gibson said the area has become a tourist attraction, which has altered traffic flow and volume. The change has inconvenienced some residents and altered their lifestyle, he said.

But people who don’t live in the area have said they don’t like the road closed, he added.

On Friday, tourists were still at the site. Several walked down the newly repaired Double EE Ranch Road, which is graveled and then paved just past the point of where the driveway from Mount Carmel joins the road.

The traffic problem might be eliminated if the owners of the Mount Carmel property would let people park there, he said.

“You’re dealing with seven acres of land that would provide adequate parking,” he said.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.