An auto repair shop used by the Branch Davidians was burglarized early Wednesday, possibly by souvenir hunters.

A spokesman for the McLennan County Sheriff’s Department said someone cut a hole in a door to the shop, which is about five miles from Mount Carmel, where cult members once lived.

Branch Davidian leader Vernon Howell frequently worked on his collection of cars at the shop, which was dubbed the Mag Bag.

“It doesn’t appear that anything was taken,” said a sheriff’s department spokesman. “We think it was probably souvenir hunters just wanting to see if there was anything in there they wanted.”

The Mag Bag was mentioned prominently in the affidavits filed to obtain search warrants to raid Mount Carmel. According to the affidavits, carriers for the United Parcel Service made frequent deliveries to the Mag Bag. The carriers were frequently directed to Mount Carmel.

On one such delivery in June 1992, a package fell to the ground, revealing a load of dummy grenades, which can be converted to live grenades with the addition of explosives.

The discovery was reported to authorities, which helped lead to an investigation of the Branch Davidians by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

Down the road from the Mag Bag at Mount Carmel, deputies detained a woman Wednesday for leading tours to the site. The woman was reportedly charging Chinese tourists $5 each for the tours.

Double EE Ranch Road, which leads to the site, has been closed by the county for repairs.

A spokesman for the sheriff’s department said the woman leading the tours reportedly cut a hole in a fence and took the tourists inside an area quarantined by the Texas Department of Health.

Charges may be filed today in connection with the incident, the deputy said.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.