La Vega cornerback Parrish Cobb has asked for a release from his Baylor scholarship following last week’s firing of coach Art Briles.

But he’s far from alone.

According to ESPN, Cobb is among seven freshmen from Baylor’s 23-player class for 2016 who are asking Baylor for releases from their scholarships.

Besides Cobb, those players include Port Arthur Memorial running back Kameron Martin, Silsbee offensive lineman Patrick Hudson, Copperas Cove offensive tackle J.P. Urquidez, Mesquite Horn receiver Jared Atkinson, and Sache twins Devin and Donovan Duvernay. Devin is a receiver while Donovan is a defensive back.

Additionally, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG quarterback Kellen Mond became the fifth player in the 2017 class to decommit from Baylor since Briles’ firing last Thursday. Baylor’s only remaining 2017 commitment is Stafford athlete Jalen Pitre.

In other Baylor football news, senior running back Devin Chafin has been dismissed from the team and won’t return.

Collis Cobb said his son, Parrish, hasn’t yet been granted a release from Baylor. Collis Cobb said he met with new Baylor interim coach Jim Grobe and assistant coaches Phil Bennett, Carlton Buckels and Jeff Lebby on Wednesday night.

“My wife and I respectfully asked for Parrish’s release from Baylor,” Collis Cobb said. “But they didn’t say Baylor would release him. They just told me we have to follow through with the appeals process. We’re really hopeful they will come forward and say we will release your son, but we’re surprised they haven’t at this time.”

Baylor spokesman Nick Joos said that meeting with players in the 2016 signing class is part of a “process that our coaching staff and compliance staff are working on.”

Grobe has been through a whirlwind since Baylor named him acting head coach on Monday.

He’s met with Briles’ former assistant coaches to keep them on staff, he’s talked with the veteran Baylor players and has also met 2016 signees. The first summer session of Baylor classes began Tuesday, but the signees who want to get out of their scholarships didn’t arrive.

Any recruit who signs a national letter of intent is bound with that school even after a coaching change. Baylor has a 30-day deadline to respond to each recruit’s request for a release.

If Baylor opts against the release, the recruit can appeal that decision to the national letter of intent policy and review committee. The committee will determine whether to grant the release within a four to six-week time period.

Parrish Cobb had originally committed to Oklahoma before opting for Baylor. But there will likely be many schools interested in Cobb if he gets his release from Baylor. Collis Cobb said he has already begun the appeals process with the NCAA to obtain Parrish’s release.

“We just want to make sure we put Parrish in the best position to be successful,” Collis Cobb said. “He’s not allowed to talk to any other school until he’s granted permission from the NCAA and Baylor.”

Julian Urquidez, the father of J.P. Urquidez, posted a letter on his Twitter account that said no one at Baylor spoke about the Pepper Hamilton report during his recruiting process.

‘Never been contacted by Baylor’

“The Pepper Hamilton independent investigation was never mentioned, and if we would have known we would have never considered Baylor,” Julian Urquidez said. “This is not the Baylor University we signed a national letter of intent with. Not to mention, we have never been contacted by the Baylor athletic department during this fallout.”

Julian Urquidez has been frustrated with Baylor’s lack of response after his son requested his scholarship release.

“We requested our release quietly but no one is listening and we have yet to hear from Coach Grobe. The only contact we have had with Baylor is because I have driven there twice in the past six days.”

Martin and his family have also been disappointed in Baylor’s delayed response to his request for a release from his scholarship.

“Kam’s only objective is to get a release from his national letter of intent so he can start the recruiting process over,” said Bruce Swinton, who coached Martin as an assistant at Port Arthur Memorial and helped him through the recruiting process. “He’s not eliminating Baylor, but he wants to take another look with the unstable situation and allegations at Baylor.”

Swinton said Lebby and Buckels have reached out to Martin, but he wants to talk to a Baylor official who can give him his release.

“As of now, Baylor has not responded to anything Kameron has tried to do,” Swinton said. “His mother has called repeatedly to the athletic department and sent emails. Right now, we don’t know who is making decisions in the program because we haven’t heard back from anyone.”

Chafin is leaving the program three months after he was suspended from spring drills in March following his arrest in Oklahoma for misdemeanor marijuana charges.

Chafin was accused of assaulting his girlfriend on two occasions in 2014. Chafin rushed for 585 yards and nine touchdowns in 10 games last season.

Don't Miss...