A Mart man was arrested over the weekend after he left his estranged girlfriend's children home alone Sunday night, an arrest affidavit states.

Tarance Larod Sharp, 39, was arrested after Mart police were called to a home in the 1400 block of East Navarro Street shortly before 11:15 p.m. Sunday when a woman was trying to get her children from Sharp's home. The woman told 911 dispatchers that she is Sharp's estranged girlfriend, but he was supposed to watch her 5-year-old and 7-year-old daughters while she was at work.

The affidavit states she went to a co-worker's house after her shift when Sharp came to her co-worker's house and "started 'acting crazy.'"

"(The woman) grew concerned for her children because Sharp was supposed to be watching them," the affidavit states. "She asked Sharp where her children were and he did not answer. She then proceeded to this residence ... and found the doors locked to the residence."

Sharp is not the children's biological father, although the woman and Sharp have a lengthy relationship history, Mart Police Chief Paul Cardenas said. In August, Sharp was accused and arrested for throwing a young puppy against a wall and breaking its leg after a domestic disturbance with his girlfriend.

During the weekend disturbance, the woman found that both her daughters were inside the house alone, the affidavit states. Sharp eventually came to the house, but refused to unlock the door so the woman could get to her children.

"(The woman) attempted to call the police and Sharp tried to grab the phone away from (her)," the affidavit states. "After he was unsuccessful, Sharp then ran away, fearing he would go to jail."

The woman was able to wake up her children, who were able to unlock the door. The affidavit states the girls told police that Sharp left the home after dinner and before they went to bed, leaving them in the house alone for about two to three hours.

Sharp eventually came back to the house and was arrested on a state-jail felony of abandoning a child and a Class A misdemeanor charge of interference with an emergency call. He was taken to McLennan County Jail, where he remained Monday afternoon with a bond listed at $5,000.

Kristin Hoppa has been covering public safety and breaking news for the Tribune-Herald since January 2016. She worked in Northwest Missouri covering crime-related issues before her move to Central Texas. She is a University of Kansas graduate.

Recommended for you