Lacy Lakeview police officer recovering Friday from shooting, suspect still jailed

Keith McAdams was charged with aggravated assault on a public servant for allegedly shooting a Lacy Lakeview police officer in the arm Thursday.

A Lacy Lakeview police officer shot in the arm while responding to a call was recovering from his injury Friday, while the man accused by authorities of opening fire with a handgun from behind a closed garage door was in custody at the McLennan County Jail.

Keith McAdams, 21, was being held under a $150,000 bond Friday on a charge of aggravated assault on a public servant.

Officials said he surrendered to law enforcement officers who swarmed the area around McAdams’ home at 104 Bobcat Drive, located in a subdivision near the northern perimeter of Texas State Technical College.

A second man who was taken into custody at the home eventually was released with no charges, said Lacy Lakeview City Manager Keith Bond. That man’s name has not been released, and his relationship with McAdams was not known.

The officer who was injured in the incident was identified by Bond as Roy Wood, who has served at the Lacy Lakeview Police Department for less than a year.

Bond described Wood, who was treated and released from Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center on Thursday night, as “doing well,” adding that a physician would determine when the officer is healthy enough to return to duty.

Personnel in the police department are “jubilant that Roy is OK,” Bond said.

Chaotic scene

The city manager, who addressed media covering the case Thursday evening, described a chaotic scene in the Comanche Creek subdivision, noting that there was “a little misinformation” in the immediate aftermath of the shooting.

According to Bond, Wood and three other officers first responded to the home on Bobcat Drive about 5:10 p.m. after receiving a report that there was a man inside who was upset and possibly armed with a gun.

One officer was at the front door, and the other three were at different locations around the home, when multiple shots were fired from a handgun behind a closed garage door, sending them for cover, authorities said.

Wood had his back to a wall adjacent to the home’s garage when he was shot in the back of his upper arm, the bullet exiting through his shoulder, Bond said.

Wood, whose injury was non-life-threatening, was able to retreat from the home after the shooting, and later was taken from the area once law enforcement officers were in position to safely do so, according to the city manager.

Law enforcement agencies including Waco, TSTC and Bellmead police departments, as well as the Texas Department of Public Safety and the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office, responded to assist with crowd control, securing the scene and clearing the home. Authorities closed the entrance of Mesquite Tree Road at Crest Drive as they worked.

About 30 minutes after the shooting, McAdams and the other man inside the house came out and surrendered, Bond said.

“Obviously, with the amount of officers around that residence, I think he was compelled to come out,” he said.

After the apprehension of the men, Mesquite Tree Road remained closed to residents until about 9 p.m. The last officers left the scene at about 4:30 a.m.


Officers never fired their guns, and no injuries other than Wood’s were reported, Bond said.

Lacy Lakeview police, as well as the Texas Rangers, are investigating the incident. It’s common that Texas Rangers are involved in cases in which an officer is shot, Bond said.

Meanwhile, little information about McAdams and his background were available Friday.

Bond declined to comment about prior calls for service at the address on Bobcat Drive, as well as any previous contact police may have had with McAdams.

A man at the home Friday afternoon who identified himself as a family member of McAdams declined comment, and Phil Martinez, the attorney appointed to represent McAdams, said that he did not yet have information about the case.


Follow us on Twitter Twitter            Follow us on Twitter Facebook