A Waco couple and their young child were safe Saturday afternoon after a fire damaged their home at 2208 Flint Ave., but their Yorkshire terrier died of smoke inhalation, fire officials said.

Three engines and a ladder truck answered the call at 3:21 p.m., but the first truck on the scene extinguished the blaze in the back bedroom, Battalion Chief Patrick Kerwin said. No family members were at home at the time.

Kerwin said fire damage was confined to the bedroom, but smoke damaged the  small house throughout. He said the family would probably stay with friends until they can return.

Investigators determined the fire was started accidentally by clothing left too close to a night light, Kerwin said.

Recommended for you