An 11-year-old girl is being credited for helping her family escape a fire that overtook their Bruceville-Eddy home early Sunday morning.

Fire crews were called to the 300 block of Christopher Drive about 6:30 a.m. after the smell and sound of fire in her living room woke the girl up, Bruceville-Eddy Assistant Fire Chief Ira Doss said.

The girl woke up her parents and older sister and helped get them out of the home quickly, Doss said.

The family’s two dogs also were able to make it out of the home safely, Doss said. No injuries were reported.

“The father said it was because of his little girl that everyone was able to make it out,” Doss said. “Her bravery and quick thinking helped with the safe outcome.”

The fire damage was primarily contained to the living room and front porch, Doss said. Firefighters think a malfunctioning portable air conditioner may have sparked the fire.

Firefighters with the Lorena Volunteer Fire Department assisted Bruceville-Eddy firefighters in extinguishing the blaze.

Doss said the mobile home is likely a complete loss, but the American Red Cross and community members are helping the family with immediate needs.

Recommended for you