Authorities are investigating a suspicious fire that damaged the women’s restroom of a Dairy Queen in Hewitt on Friday night, Hewitt Fire Chief Lance Bracco said.

Fire crews were called to the fast-food restaurant at 200 Legacy Drive shortly before 9 p.m., after smoke was reported coming from the women’s restroom. Bracco said a fire appeared to have started on an inside wall.

“The only ignition source that was close to it was a plug outlet, but there was no marking on it at all — nothing like it had sparked or anything,” Bracco said. “It is still under investigation, but we are not thinking it was accidental.”

He said fire officials requested assistance from a Waco fire marshal, who determined the fire to be incendiary. Evidence and information was compiled and sent to Hewitt police detectives.

“Right now we are still in the very beginning of the investigation and we are trying to determine if anyone saw anything or if there is security footage,” Assistant Chief Tuck Saunders said. “It was actually a small commercial structure fire, and luckily no one was hurt.”

Dairy Queen remained closed Saturday, Sunday and part of Monday as repairs were made. No damage estimate was available Tuesday afternoon.

Kristin Hoppa has been covering public safety and breaking news for the Tribune-Herald since January 2016. She worked in Northwest Missouri covering crime-related issues before her move to Central Texas. She is a University of Kansas graduate.

Recommended for you