FULLERTON, Calif. — A Vernon Howell follower who was believed to have died in the fire at the Branch Davidian compound was remembered at a service as a good-natured woman who made a tragically wrong choice.

About 100 mourners gathered Saturday at the Fullerton Seventh-day Adventist Church to pay respects to Sherri Jewell, who shared an Anaheim Hills home with her mother, Ruth Mosher, until last year.

“I’m going to miss her,” Mosher said as she sat in a back pew, a tissue clenched tightly in her hand.

Although federal agents continue to sift through the Waco compound ashes, trying to match remains with dental records, mourners assumed Jewell died at age 23 in the April 19 inferno.

Texas authorities are still trying to determine the exact number of cultists who died.

Pastor Charles Liu said he knew Jewell when she attended a branch of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Hawaii in the early 1980s. It was there she met Howell.

“Sherri was so open to people that she became open to Howell,” Liu said. “She became caught up in a web of manipulation and false ideas of God.”

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.