Why so long?

It seems everyone is pointing his finger at the attorney general, FBI and ATF on the outcome of Mount Carmel. Could this have been prevented if some action had been taken over a year ago when complaints were filed locally against David Koresh? Why did it take so long before any results?

If one is to point a finger, it should be pointed in the direction of the person or persons who looked the other way a year ago and/or David Koresh, the man who had 51 days to face the charges against him and to send the children out of the compound.

W.W. Sockwell

Valley Mills

Sins endless

Supporters of David Koresh have forgotten one important fact. Had Koresh surrendered on Feb. 28, the standoff never would have occurred. ATF was doing its job by serving the warrant and Koresh and followers answered back with hostile fire — which only proved the charges against him were correct.

If Koresh was a religious man then would he have put his followers’ lives in jeopardy? Would he have used his innocent children as protective shields then lead them to their deaths? What about reports of child abuse? What about killing the ATF agents? His sins are endless.

Rebecca Aaegesen


Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.