A Branch Davidian whose hands were severely burned in the fire that engulfed Mount Carmel will find out today whether he must stay in jail.

Clive Doyle, 52, is charged with conspiracy to murder a federal agent.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Bill Johnston argued Monday before U.S. Magistrate Dennis Green that Doyle poses a danger to the community if released on bond from McLennan County Jail. Green will notify Doyle today whether bond will be set for his release.

“This defendant for 51 days disobeyed and refused to abide by lawful authority in the face of great discomfort within the compound,” Johnston said. “He saw fit to continue the behavior that facilitated that tragedy. He is a person, to quote his daughter, who is still strongly committed to the group.

“And that group saw fit to arm themselves over a period of time and in deadly form resist a lawful search warrant.”

Doyle’s attorney, Dan Cogdell of Houston, portrayed him as a passive individual not given to aggressive behavior.

“The only true indictment of Mr. Doyle is that he is a Branch Davidian,” Cogdell said. “No one saw him fire a weapon. No one saw him utilize a weapon. No one saw him commit any act of aggression.

Karen Doyle, Clive Doyle’s daughter and also a Branch Davidian, testified at the hearing.

Doyle, 21, described her father as peaceful.

She denied under questioning by Johnston that she had ever been one of cult leader Vernon Howell’ s so called wives.

However, numerous former cult members report that Howell told them during the Bible studies that God had ordered him to “give seed” to Doyle when she was 14 years old.

Doyle also told Johnston that she had never seen a gun or any ammunition while in the cult.

She was in La Verne, Calif., when agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms raided Mount Carmel on Feb. 28. Four agents and six Branch Davidians died in the ensuing shootout.

Johnston told Judge Dennis Green Monday that 1. 8 million rounds of ammunition were found in the compound’s charred remains.

Clive Doyle escaped death in the April 19 fire that destroyed Mount Carmel. But he sustained serious burns to his hands that required hospitalization at Dallas Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Clive Doyle was a follower, “just one of the flock,” Cogdell said. “He is a victim of his choices. But he is also a victim of a master manipulator (Howell). And he is also the victim of the government. “

In related news Monday, McLennan County released the names of the 30 Branch Davidian whose bodies have been identified so far. Justice of the Peace David Pareya said authorities have found body fragments that indicate 96 people may have died at Mount Carmel in both the shootout and the fire.

“It doesn’t mean 96 people died there,” Pareya said. “But it could be more than 80 people who were officially sent up to Fort Worth for autopsies.”

Three of the bodies identified belong to Branch Davidians believed to have died in the shootout: Jaydean Wendel, 34, gunshot to head; Peter Hipsman, 27, gunshots to head and body; and Winston Blake, 28, gunshot to head. Others suffered smoke and carbon monoxide inhalation.

Some, as noted, also were shot: Raymond Friesen, 76; Livingston Malcolm, 26, possible gunshot wounds; Floyd Houtman, 61, pending; Douglas Wayne Martin, 42, pending; Wayne Martin, 20, pending; Steve Schneider, 48, gunshot to head; Judy Schneider, 41, gunshot to thorax; Kathy Andrade, 24, pending; Florecita Sonobe, 34, gunshot to head; Shari Doyle, 18, gunshot to head; Stephen Henry, 26, gunshot to head; Susan Benta, 41, Doris Fagan, 60, possible gunshot to head; Vernon Howell, 33, gunshot to forehead; Sonia Murray, 30; James Riddle, 32, gunshot to forehead; Michele Jones, 18, pending; Alrick Bennett, 35; Rebecca Saipaia, 24; Juliet Martinez, 30, pending; Audrey Martinez, 13, pending; Abigail Martinez, 11, pending; Joseph Martinez, 8, gunshot to body; Novelette Sinclair, 36, gunshot to head; Pablo Cohen, 28; May Borst, 49, gunshot to body; and Rosemary Morrison, 29.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.