A federal magistrate Monday arraigned a member of the Branch Davidians, one of three men who tried to fight their way out of the group’s compound near Mount Carmel about 5 p.m. Sunday.

Delroy Nash, 28, of Mount Carmel was charged by the U.S. Magistrate Dennis Green with conspiracy for the attempted homicide of a federal law enforcement officer and use of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.

The Associated Press reported a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms official said Nash was being held in McLennan County Jail.

U.S. District Court records show Judge Green denied Nash bond.

A pretrial hearing for Nash has been set for March 9 in U.S. District Judge Walter Smith’s court.

Sharon Wheeler, ATF spokeswoman, said the Mount Carmel operation is now a joint one between ATF and the FBI.

Questions were referred to a joint command center at Texas State Technical College, but no one could answer questions Monday night.

According to an affidavit files by Charles Meyer, an ATF special agent, he and other ATF agents patrolling the compound came across three men about 5 p.m. Sunday.

Meyer and the other agents identified themselves and ordered the trio not to move.

The three began firing at the agents, who fired back and struck one of the men.

Nash surrendered and another man was killed, but ATF agents would not say what the status of the third man was. An ATF spokesman in Washington Sunday night reported the third man was presumed dead, but that was not confirmed Monday.

Agents searched Nash and found 99 rounds of .22-caliber ammunition and a .22-caliber pistol on him.

Court records indicated Nash is not a U.S. citizen but did not list his nationality. Records also said he has an eighth-grade education.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.