GREENVILLE, S.C. — The owner of a gun and ammunition supply company pleaded innocent in federal court Wednesday to undisclosed weapons charges that had linked him to the Branch Davidian cult.

Gordon T. Davis, owner of Shooters Equipment Co., a mail-order business, and his wife, Sandra, were charged under a sealed indictment, said Assistant U.S. Attorney David Stephens.

Mrs. Davis also pleaded innocent at the federal arraignment hearing in Greenville. Stephens would not reveal the nature of the charges or the names of any other possible suspects. The Davises had surrendered to authorities and were freed Wednesday on their own recognizance.

The indictments were sealed because others were named and might flee, an official said. They will be unsealed after other suspects are arrested, the Anderson Independent-Mail reported.

Earlier this month, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms issued a search warrant for Shooters Equipment Co. Officials said it was part of an ongoing investigation of the Branch Davidians.

The company’s attorney, Scott McLarty, said he thought investigators were trying to get some idea of the Waco compound’s inventory. He said the business was operated legally.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.