Waco-area hotels filled up quickly Sunday and Monday as word spread about the standoff between law enforcement officials and member of a cult near the Elk community.

Vickie Williams of the La Quinta hotel in Waco said her rooms were booked by Sunday evening.

“By 7 p.m., we knew we were in trouble,” Williams said.

Most of the people staying in the La Quinta were law enforcement officials she said. The hotel is also booked for tonight, she said.

“I think you’ll find that hotels all along I-35 in Waco are filled up,” she said. “We’re referring people to Hillsboro and Temple.”

Tricia Jestes at Waco’s Howard Johnson, formerly the Riverplace Inn, said the hotel filled up early Monday.

Employees had to turn many people away, she said.

“I don’t know how many, but bunches of them,” Jestes said.

Most of those stay at Howard Johnson are also law enforcement officials, she said.

An employee at the Holiday Inn in Waco said she’d never seen the hotel fill up so quickly.

“Nothing like this,” she said.

An employee at the Holiday Inn in Temple said the hotel was filling up, but still had a few rooms available Monday evening.

Although hotels were filling up, most local restaurants reported average activity.

Managers at the Elite Café and Chili’s Grill and Bar said they had a normal amount of activity Monday.

Managers at Ryan’s Family Steak House in Waco and Luby’s Cafeteria in Bellmead said they noticed more law enforcement officials eating at the establishments and reported slightly increased business.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part Two appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

Read the accounts of April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.