The Tribune-Herald won a Katie Award Saturday night at a banquet at the Fairmont Hotel in Dallas for its reporting about the Branch Davidians, a cult group that lived on almost 80 acres of land near Waco.

The Texas Katie Awards are sponsored by the Press Club of Dallas Foundation to honor “outstanding achievement in journalism and mass communications.” Winners receive a statuette.

The winning category for the Tribune-Herald was spot news story for “Black Monday,” which contained stories published April 20 after the residence of the Branch Davidians went up in flames. Members of the cult group holed up inside the fort-like residence for 51 days after Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents tried to arrest their leader Feb. 28.

The winners are Tribune-Herald staff members Brian Blansett, Lynn Bulmahn, Douglas Doe, Mark England, Christopher Hall, Bechetta Jackson, Darlene McCormick, Mia Moody, Drew Parma, Lee Schexnaider, Teresa Talerico, Bret Tate and Tommy Witherspoon.

The Tribune-Herald’s coverage of the first days of the siege, “Tragedy at Mount Carmel” was also nominated for the spot news category.

The Tribune-Herald was also nominated for best daily newspaper for medium and small market newspapers — an award that went to the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. John Young, editorial page editor, was nominated for best column writing. Laura Miller of the Dallas Observer won that award.

Television station KWTX Channel 10 in Waco won three Katie awards in the medium- and small-market television station category.

KWTX staff members Mike Kinney, John McLemore, Dan Mulloney, Jim Peeler and Rick Bradfield won the general news story category for “Assault on Mount Carmel,” the station’s coverage of the federal agents’ raid on Mount Carmel.

KWTX staff member Paul Otter won in the sports feature category for a piece called “Challengers’ Little League.”

And, in the scheduled sports programming category, KWTX staff members Graham Hagood and John Morris won for “Grant Teaff — 21 Years of Excellence.”

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.