As federal, state and local officials finish sifting though charred remains of the Branch Davidian compound, the focus of the Mount Carmel tragedy soon will shift to the surviving members’ journeys through the federal court system.

Of the 24 sect members who left the compound during the 51-day siege, were captured during a Feb. 28 shootout after the initial raid or escaped the deadly blaze April 19, seven have been indicted on federal charges; five remain jailed as material witnesses; four have been released from custody as material witnesses; six are being held as material witnesses in a halfway house; and two remain hospitalized.

Added to those under indictment is Paul Fatta, a cult member who was away from the compound when the siege began and had been on the run from authorities until he surrendered shortly after the fire.

Also, Louis Alaniz and Jesse Amen, who both slipped by authorities and entered the compound during the standoff, remain free on bond after being charged for interfering with duties of the police.

Those indicted, their charges and attorneys include:

  • Paul Fatta, 35, conspiracy to manufacture and possess unregistered machine guns; Mike DeGuerin.
  • Clive Joseph Doyle, 52, conspiracy to murder federal officers; still in hospital, has not appeared in court.
  • Brad Eugene Branch, 35, conspiracy to murder federal officers and possession of a firearm during a violent crime; Richard Ferguson.
  • Kevin A. Whitecliff, 31, conspiracy to murder federal officers and possession of a firearm during a violent crime; Marlin Blackledge.
  • Kathryn Schroeder, 34, conspiracy to murder federal officers and possession of a firearm during a violent crime; Scott Peterson.
  • Woodrow Kendrick, 63, attempted murder of a federal officer and aiding and abetting; Rush Milam III.
  • Norman Washington Allison, also known as Delroy Nash, attempted murder of a federal officer; Robert Cole.
  • Jaime Castillo, 24, conspiracy to murder federal officers; Jeff Kearney.

Those in jail as material witnesses and their attorneys include:

  • Gladys Ottman, 67, Gary Coker. She was released to a halfway house in March, but jailed Tuesday for civil contempt after refusing to testify before grand jury.
  • Livingston Fagan, Brad Cates.
  • Derek Llyod Lovelock, 37, Don Ervin.
  • Renos Avraam, 29, Dick Kettler.
  • Graeme Leonard Craddock, 31, Stanley Rentz.

Those released as material witnesses and their attorneys include:

  • David Thibodeau, 24, Gary Richardson.
  • Victorine Hollingsworth, 59, Ron Moody.
  • Margaret Lawson, 76, Oliver Kelley.
  • James Lawter, 70, Walter M. Reaves Jr.

Those who remain in a halfway house as material witnesses and their attorneys include:

  • Ruth Ottman Riddle, 29, Gary Coker.
  • Sheila Judith Martin, 46, Gary Coker.
  • Catherine Matterson, 77, Gary Coker.
  • Anetta Richards, 62, Dwight Goairis.
  • Ofelia Santoyo, Russ hunt.
  • Rita Faye Riddle, 35, Chuck Grigson.

Those who remain in Parkland Memorial Hospital suffering burns include:

  • Misty Ferguson, 16.
  • Marjorie Thomas, 30.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.