ALEXANDER CITY, Ala., April 25 (AP) — A 39-year-old woman who formerly operated an Alaskan taxicab service today was bound over to the grand jury on a murder charge in the slaying of an elderly Waco missionary.

The accused woman was identified as Catherine Bystrom, Birmingham. James Lee McGraw, 29, also of Birmingham, was released under $100 bond as a material witness. Both were arrested in Memphis, Tenn., April 6.

Mrs. Bystrom was charged in the slaying of Miss Lillian Euphemia Schliefer, 70, a missionary for Davidian Branch of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Her trussed and nearly nude body was recovered from backwaters of Lake Martin near here Feb. 25. The body was not identified for six weeks.

Miss Schliefer had disappeared while on a trip from Waco to Jamaica, British West Indies.

Mrs. Bystrom, who said she operated a cab service in Fairbanks, Alaska, for about 12 years, told officers she drove Miss Schliefer to Birmingham but the missionary left by bus after the car developed engine trouble. She had offered to drive the woman from Waco to Miami, Mrs. Bystrom said.

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.