Wounded agents who took part in the raid on Mount Carmel are in hospitals recuperating physically.

Monday the agency started taking steps to help them work things through mentally.

That’s when the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms’ Peer Support Team started swinging into action. The 5-year-old unit, which goes in among agents involved in crises like Sunday’s failed intervention, is made up agents who have either shot someone or have been shot themselves in the line of duty.

“It’s one thing for a mental health professional to let the agents know about reactions to trauma,” said psychiatrist Roger Solomon, who works with the Peer Support Team. “It’s another thing for a fellow agent who’s been in a similar situation to get with an agent and say, ‘After my incident, I had nightmares, and I saw some images, and I’m not crazy.’”

Hap LeCrone, a Waco psychologist who is working with agents and Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center staff to work through the effects of Sunday’s thwarted raid, said the agents he talked to are “full of anger.”

LeCrone said it’s part of the process of dealing with loss and a situation beyond their control.

“It’s a lot of anger and some frustration about the whole situation,” he said. “It’s a process of figuring out, how do you go on with life?”

Read the Tribune-Herald's 7-part investigative series on the inner workings of the Branch Davidians. Hours after Part 2 appeared in print, the ATF raided the group's compound.

Read the Tribune-Herald’s account of the ATF raid on the Branch Davidian compound on Feb. 28, 1993. Four ATF agents and six in the compound were killed in the gunfight.

Read the daily news accounts of the 51-day siege at the Branch Davidian compound near Elk, which began Feb. 28 and lasted until April.

April 19 and beyond: FBI agents began inserting canisters of tear gas into the Branch Davidian compound in the early morning hours. By noon, it was on fire.

Federal officials left the compound site in late May 1993. As identifications of bodies continued, questions about the survivors, the compound and the cult itself began to emerge.

As the world began to take a critical look back at the events and legal proceedings continue, the ATF's bombshell report forces a shakeup at the top after the raid gone "tragically wrong."

In 1994, the surviving Davidians went on trial in San Antonio. Over six weeks, more than 140 witnesses testified, with the verdict coming just two days prior to the anniversary of the ATF raid.

The Rodenville shootout and the 1988 trial, the end of the world in 1959 and more stories from deep in the Trib archives.